UTIMCO provides an excellent benefits package including a flexible health plan, a generous 403(b) retirement program, vacation and holiday schedules competitive with the private sector, paid parking, and an excellent working environment.
If you are not from the Austin area, click here for information on the area.
If you are interested in career opportunities at UTIMCO, please send a cover letter with salary expectations and your resume, indicating the position in which you are interested, to:
Human Resources Dept.
401 Congress Avenue, Suite 2800
Austin, Texas 78701
Fax: (512) 225-1660
E-mail: UTIMCO Human Resources
Principals only, please. We welcome applications from all individuals. All materials will be kept in strictest confidence. UTIMCO is an equal opportunity employer.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background investigation.
POSITION: Investment Officer - Emerging Markets Investments
The Investment Officer - Emerging Markets Investments will help lead UTIMCO's investment activities in the broadly defined global emerging markets to achieve superior risk-adjusted, long-term returns. He/She will work closely with the Managing Director - Natural Resources and Emerging Markets Private Equity Investments and other members of the UTIMCO investment team with responsibility to monitor current investments, evaluate potential investment opportunities, and execute projects pertaining to UTIMCO's Natural Resources portfolio. UTIMCO invests primarily via funds, partnerships and direct co-investments. UTIMCO's investment activities include being the sole or major capital source for new funds.
Broad Responsibilities Include:
- Assist in management of a portfolio of public and private investments (including monitoring individual manager performance and risk, fostering valued relationships with all investment partners, conducting periodic updates to initial due diligence, and conducting periodic on-site visits with key investment and operations personnel).
- Coordinate with other areas of the firm including Public Equity Markets, Real Estate, Private Investments and Natural Resources investment teams.
- Identify capital market opportunities and “map” the investment manager community across a wide variety of emerging markets
- Source and assess new investment opportunities by establishing trusted industry contacts, meeting prospective partners, attending relevant industry events, performing qualitative and quantitative analysis as required, and assist in maintaining the prospective manager database.
- Develop the capacity to lead a comprehensive due diligence process for evaluating and underwriting prospective investments, strategies and/or direct investments (including but not limited to in-depth analysis of investment strategy, performance and risk, manager strengths and weaknesses, risk management, operations, manager backgrounds, reference checks, evaluation of service providers, assessment of existing investor base, and thorough review of relevant legal documents with input from counsel).
- Lead negotiation of investment structuring and terms on new and existing investments with counsel.
- Assist the Managing Director - Natural Resources and Emerging Markets Private Equity Investments with asset allocation decisions and portfolio evaluation.
- Prepare standard and ad hoc reports and presentations to facilitate communication and transparency to the Investment Committee, Staff, Board, and other external entities as required.
- Assist with the junior-level team members as well as foster career development of the staff.
- Maintain current knowledge of the global capital markets – in particular the emerging markets – by monitoring current financial publications, as well as leveraging personal contacts with outside research/industry professionals and conducting ad hoc research as necessary.
- Communicate effectively and responsibly with other Investment team members and UTIMCO staff, and promote a true team atmosphere.
- Represent UTIMCO in the marketplace with highest integrity and professionalism.
Other Position Parameters
- The role reports to the Managing Director - Natural Resources and Emerging Markets Private Equity Investments.
- The position will have no direct reports, but will collaborate closely with other members of the Natural Resources and broader UTIMCO teams.
- The post is located in Austin, Texas.
- Domestic and international travel will be required.
- Fluency in the written and spoken English language is required. Competence is valued in other global languages, such as Spanish or Mandarin Chinese.
The ideal candidate will have most or all of the following skills, knowledge, experience, and personal characteristics:
- An MBA from a leading institution. A CFA designation is a plus.
- 5-10 years of relevant experience in emerging markets or regions specifically in finance, corporate development, operations, or investment-related fields; experience as an institutional or principal investor preferred.
- Evidence of intelligent investment decisions and their results.
- Candor regarding lessons learned from poor investment decisions.
- Superior risk management (broadly defined) capabilities.
- Comprehensive knowledge of emerging economies and insight rooted in both quantitative and qualitative analysis, experience and market knowledge.
- Exceptional quantitative skills to evaluate fund and portfolio performance.
- Well versed in financial applications (e.g., Excel, Bloomberg).
- Strong, proven written and oral communication skills.
- Solid interpersonal and organization skills.
- A collegial, team-oriented, constructive, “can do” attitude.
- Unquestioned honesty, integrity, and transparency.
POSITION: Senior Analyst – Natural Resources and Emerging Markets Investments
The Senior Analyst will work directly with the Managing Director and the Natural Resource and Emerging Markets team to research, analyze, monitor, and invest within these asset categories. Depending on current work conditions the Financial Analyst will receive broad exposure to the entire investment process and participate in broader UTIMCO investment allocation decisions. The responsibilities of a Financial Analyst will include, but are not limited to:
- Analyze and support investment objectives, allocation strategies, and investment performance within Natural Resources
- Screen, monitor, and assist in the selection of investment managers through fund and asset class research, manager meetings, and portfolio analysis
- Support, track, and monitor all phases of the investment process and investment performance
- Assist investment staff in negotiating and drafting deal terms with managers and other outside parties
- Conduct asset class research and assist with the development of investment themes
- Assist with managing analysts
- Degree in finance, accounting or engineering preferred.
- 3+ years of professional energy, other natural resources and/or emerging markets experience, preferably in investment banking, investment research, or in an institutional environment a definite plus.
- This is a pre-MBA position ideally suited for individuals with strong financial and analytical skills.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills are essential to success in this role.
- Knowledge and understanding of information systems including advanced computer skills in spreadsheets and databases (knowledge of Bloomberg and Factset a plus).
POSITION: Analyst – Marketable Alternative Investments
UTIMCO’s Marketable Alternatives program currently has more than $10 billion invested with external hedge fund managers. The Marketable Alternatives Analyst is responsible for assisting the team with quantitative and qualitative analysis and research to help monitor current investments, evaluate potential investment opportunities, and execute on specific projects. Broad responsibilities include:
- Prepare and monitor reports on external hedge fund manager performance, exposures, and holdings
- Assist with and participate in regular reviews of the portfolio, including analysis of the portfolio’s performance and risk characteristics
- Perform quantitative analysis on existing and prospective managers, including correlations to indices and existing investments, return regressions, and risk/return statistics
- Assist in the due diligence of prospective managers
- Maintain current knowledge of the hedge fund industry and global capital markets by monitoring current financial publications, as well as leveraging personal contacts with outside research/industry professionals and conducting ad hoc research
- Provide analytical support to senior investment professionals on research projects
- Prepare standard and ad hoc reports and presentations to facilitate communication and transparency to the Board of Directors and external constituents as required
- Communicate effectively and responsibly with UTIMCO staff, and promote a collegial working environment
- Represent UTIMCO in the marketplace with highest integrity and professionalism
- This is a pre-MBA entry level position ideally suited for individuals with strong financial and analytical skills
- Degree in finance or accounting from a reputable institution
- 0-2 years of professional experience in finance or investment-related field is essential
- Investment banking, investment research, corporate finance experience a plus
- Strong analytical, problem solving, communication, presentation and organizational skills are essential to success in this role
- Should be well-versed in financial software applications (e.g., Microsoft Excel, Bloomberg)
- Team player possessing intellectual curiosity, sound judgment, thoughtfulness and attention to detail